Andrzej Gackowski, MD PhD | John Paul II Hospital, Jagiellonian University Medical College; Tomasz Dziwiński, PhD Eng.; Kamil Kipiel; Paweł Piątek, PhD Eng.; Adam Piórkowski, PhD Eng.; Kamil Szostek, Eng. | Medical Simulation Technologies
Competition Sponsor: EIT Health of the European Union
Awardee Year: 2022
Medical Simulation Technologies has developed unique simulation platform for echocardiography training (TEE) called MrTEEmothy. The clinical datasets used for virtual simulation are obtained from real, standard computed tomography (CT) studies of the heart, providing absolutely anatomically correct models. The simulation system is composed of:
– torso phantom,
– transesophageal echocardiography probe,
– ultrasound control panel,
– computer with preinstalled MrTEEmothy software.
Probe and panel need to be connected to the computer via USB ports.
Thanks to advanced OpenGL-based engine, MrTEEmothy software is able to truly simulate not only 2D but also 3D and 4D images (4D visualization showing the same section as the original 2D image with added depth called elevation). Color Doppler flow maps are added to give an information of the blood flow as well.
In our solution, the three-dimensional CT image is processed by a numerical algorithm and then displayed to the user in the form of a 2-dimensional projection that would be seen during the examination. This allows a user to learn anatomy based on the actual heart structures rather than on the synthetic model drawn by the graphic designer.
The main features are:
– Over 40 normal and pathological cases
– Realistic response to the probe manipulations
– On-screen graphical indicators of probe position and orientation
– 2D, 3D, 4D, Color Doppler modes, MPR
– Custom marks positioned in 3D space helping to understand the anatomy
– Automatic trainer of Standard TEE views according to American Society of Echo
– Automatic views acquisition test with reporting.
To learn more about this proposal, email firstname.lastname@example.org.